We are delighted to share with you details of an educational programme which Pfizer Healthcare Ireland has developed to coincide with World Immunisation Week 2021 (24th – 30th April), and beyond.
The “Be Your Own Hero” resource pack is named after an Irish medical ‘hero’ Dr Francis Rynd of Baconstown, Co. Meath, who is credited with inventing the hollow syringe in 1844.1
The content was developed by Pfizer Vaccines Medical Affairs team in collaboration with a group of Irish classroom educators teaching (primary) students of all ages and abilities. The educational programme is broadly based upon the HSE immunisation schedules for infants and children (primary and secondary school).2,3 Some information is also provided on SARS-CoV-2 in light of the ongoing pandemic.
It provides a collection of materials to educate children, teachers and parents around:
- Vaccine-preventable diseases
- The science behind vaccines
- Other activities to remain healthy (e.g. good hand washing technique).
It is at the discretion of principals and teachers how the resources are used in their own classroom settings.
The plan is to expand the programme by building on, and adding to, the available resources listed below.
- Fact Cards
- SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)
- Neisseria Meningitidis (Meningitis)
- Bordetella Pertussis (Pertussis) - coming soon
- Clostridium Tetani (Tetanus) – coming soon
- Corynebacterium Diphtheriae (Diphtheria) – coming soon
- Human Influenza virus (Flu) – coming soon
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) – coming soon
- Measles virus (Measles) – coming soon
- Mumps virus (Mumps) – coming soon
- Poliovirus (Polio) – coming soon
- Rubella virus (Rubella) – coming soon
- Streptococcus Pneumoniae (Pneumococcal disease) – coming soon
- Sample Lesson Plans
- Sample Supplemental Resources
- Introductory videos (coming soon)
- Reading comprehension-‘Irish Medical Heroes’
- Role play exercises: ‘Doctor’s Surgery-Sick child’ & ‘Vaccination day’
- Art: Body map
- Matching exercise: Bugs
- Word search exercise: ‘Super Sneeze’
- Nurse Tom Maze runner
- Art- character colouring
- Noughts and Crosses
- “Spiky Race”
- Creative writing exercise
1. Through the eye of the needle: A remarkable medical life Through the eye of the needle: A remarkable medical life – Medical Independent (last accessed April 2021)
2. Baby and Childhood Immunisation - HSE.ie (last accessed April 2021)
3. School Programme - HSE.ie (last accessed April 2021)
PP-VAC-IRL-0148 | Date of preparation: April 2021